At Old First, we take seriously the call to “love our neighbor as ourselves.” Since our congregation moved back to its original site at 4th & Race in 1967, we have dedicated ourselves to building relationships and standing in solidarity with people in need. We have learned that when we serve others we gain much more than we give.
Our Outreach initiatives run from direct service at our Saturday Breakfast program and Winter Shelter to advocacy efforts with POWER. Everyone, regardless of religious or spiritual tradition, is invited to join us in the act of loving our neighbors and our neighborhood. Contact Alesha Thomas at email@example.com to get involved.
- Alcoholics Anonymous — Every day a group gathers to share their experiences, strength and hope and help one another recover from alcoholism.
- Saturday Breakfast & Clothing Cupboard — We serve breakfast for up to 80 people each Saturday morning and provide basic clothing and other necessities.
- Urban Service Camps — We welcome youth and adult groups from across the country to experience the joys and challenges of urban ministry.
- Winter Homeless Shelter — In partnership with Bethesda Project, Old First offers shelter, meals, social services and community to about 30 men throughout the winter months.
- POWER (Philadelphians Organized to Witness, Empower & Rebuild) — Old First is a founding congregation of this faith-based community organizing movement advocating for the needs and priorities of Philadelphians.