In 1882 the congregation left its home of 139 years at 4th & Race to build a new church at 10th & Wallace. In 1917 they moved again, this time to 50th & Locust.
Exactly fifty years ago this Sunday, October 1st , the congregation returned to 4th & Race and held its first worship service in the social hall of a building very much in the middle of restoration and construction.
According to Jean Drake, the people climbed through a social hall window to get in. It will be a lot easier to get in this Sunday.
Commemorate this Sunday’s anniversary: worship in the brightened, light-filled sanctuary, view and ask questions about the restoration photos on display in the lower narthex, and stay for fellowship hour after worship. Last Sunday we celebrated 290 years as a congregation. This Sunday we celebrate 50 years back as a congregation worshipping at 4th & Race.
Nancy Donohue, Old First Archivist