I hope everyone has been enjoying the nice October weather so far! As always, I have some updates for you:
- I’m happy to report that we served 35 men at last week’s cupboard. To make this happen week by week it takes a lot of prep work. If anyone is looking for a way to volunteer in person on a day off or on Saturday at a distance, we can work something out!
- We are continually looking for clothing donations for the cupboard! In particular:
- Jeans/pants size 34- 50 waist
- Long sleeve shirts or sweaters size M-4x
- Jackets size L-4x).
- Also please note: We serve at least 5 men weekly who are in the plus size range and could really use any larger size clothes listed above
- Although the Social Hall floor renovation was scheduled for last weekend, it will actually be taking place over the next two Saturdays as the contractors did not have all needed materials last weekend. As a result, the clothes tables will be set up on the patio (weather permitting).
- We are always looking to fill slots for shelter dinners. You can easily reserve your day on Signup Genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0c4ca4ab2eaafa7-shelter2
- Also, please check out our new Amazon wishlist that shows the items we could use the most right now: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/1IXKHG45B3DH5?ref_=wl_share
What’s going on in Philadelphia?
- I found this awesome online event through Facebook titled: Alternatives to Calling the Police (in your workplace). It takes place this coming Sunday, October 18th from 5-7pm and is hosted by Poor Magazine.
- A little about the presentation: This workshop teaches alternatives to calling and engaging the police, with a focus on how you can bring this to your workplace. Participants will learn about an indigenous/poor people model of accountability, respect, and care which is known as “Elephant Council.” You will hear from poor, unhoused, disabled, Black, Brown, Indigenous, elder and youth leaders, artists, cultural workers of POOR Magazine/PrensaPOBRE who have practiced this work for 21 years
- You can reserve your spot new by purchasing a ticket through eventbrite! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/alternatives-to-calling-the-police-in-your-workplace-tickets-121434480801?aff=efbeventtix&fbclid=IwAR1sZobc45tQ5BENeyA_7ng3AgO7jVAtyzQzdXrEyPAFxsxg8EWA1GRJ8RQ
- All proceeds from ticket purchases go to Poor Magazine. However, no one will be turned away if they cannot pay. To request a ticket waiver, email email@example.com