To set the projects below in motion, Admin requests the approval of the congregation to contract with O:Z Collaborative to perform the following:
- Survey and provide accurate measured drawings of the entryway, well, and stair conditions.
- Meet with Old First leaders to assure that the drawings represent Old First’s design preferences.
- Provide permit level drawings for L&I building permit submission. Work with the Historic Commission as necessary.
- Specify and detail the components needed for permit and bid documents. Submit drawings and permit fees from Old First to L&I.
Cost: $6,390.00 exclusive of reimbursement expenses.
1. Glass doors at the front entrance of the church building have long been a dream of the congregation and a way to physically manifest our openness, our vitality, and our spirit of welcome. Once just a daydream, the KSK architectural report in 2018 showed that that dream could be achieved. Admin and Elders believe now is the time we can start moving toward this goal.
2. The 2018 plan also reported to the congregation that the stairs at the front of the sanctuary going up to the balcony are in non-compliance to code because there is no barrier between the stairway and the windows. This violation of code can be rectified without debasing the look of the front of the sanctuary by the installation of a clear railing that will not only put Old First in compliance, but will also allow for the continued maximum amount of light into the sanctuary.
3. We love our well and the idiosyncrasy of its being in the narthex. Rebecca Yamin, the archaeologist supervising the archaeological work at the OFC burial ground in Franklin Square in 2006, was thrilled to see that Old First had not hidden its well but had made it a part of the church building. The railing around the well, though, does impede movement and renders almost useless the west side of the narthex. Replacing the current railing around the well with architectural glass will open up this area of the narthex while preserving and displaying the well.