This time last year we kicked off a food drive to collect 1,111 canned good for Misson:1. In 2012 we are going to attempt the same goal for Hunger Action Month and World Communion Sunday. By Sunday, October 7th (World Communion Sunday)we hope to exceed this goal. We were able to collect over 2,000 cans last year and I’m sure we can do even better this year.
The Cupboard has struggled with meeting the needs of the ever-growing population of hungry people in our area. Decrease in funding to social services, including the elimination of financial assistance to many single men in Pennsylvania, has effected the population we serve on a weekly basis. We rely mostly on donated food and a small grant to help us meet the needs.
A few tips to get you started:
* I know that supermarkets often run sales on Chef-Boyardee products (SuperFresh often has 10 for $10). This are the big ticket item at the Cupboard. It’s a quick meal that can be eaten without much fuss.
* Other needed items are canned soup, breakfast and cereal bars, peanut butter and jelly.
* If you want to provide food for folks with kitchens, the most desired items are pancake mix, syrup, rice, and bags of beans
* PLEASE try to donate pop-top items or plastic containers with seals (ex:fruit cups, microwaveable meals). It is very difficult to open canned goods when you don’t have a can-opener.
* pick up a box from the lower narthex and set it up in your office for visitors and office mates to donate!
If you have questions, contact the church office or Billi