Happy New Year Old Firsters,
2020 is now officially over, and we’re now into 2021! Hopefully this year will bring us more peace, love, and happiness. To start of the new year, I first wanted to thank everybody who helped with donations of either food, hygiene items, clothes, or volunteered on Saturdays since the Covid-19 outbreak back in March. Without you, we wouldn’t be able to do what we do, so I sincerely thank you for that! And as always I have announcements:
- The modified cupboard operation outside has been going smoothly thus far. Although we are dependent on weather, we have been able to serve many guests and were always adapting to be able to best serve the community. I’m always open to suggestions!
- The shelter guests were very happy with their Christmas and New Year’s gifts thanks to our very kind and generous donors! And as always, I’m looking to fill in slots for dinners. Be sure to reserve your slot now: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0c4ca4ab2eaafa7-shelter2
- Similarly, I am looking to start filling slots for February Saturday breakfast meals on 2/13 and 2/27. Reserve your spot before it fills up! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e48aaae2fa31-saturday
- Even though we cannot give out clothes at the moment, I am still always collecting. If you have any new or gently used men’s casual clothes, feel free to drop them off at the church from 10-4 pm during the week. Any men’s dress clothes/shoes, women’s clothes, or a very expensive piece of clothing, we now sell on Poshmark. All the profits that are received from the items are then used to purchase much needed items for the Saturday Cupboard. Be sure to follow us at @oldfirstucc
News and Resources in the Community
- Still Safer at Home, but Some Restrictions Lifted
Philadelphia lifted restrictions on some lower risk businesses on January 4. Read the following article to learn which activities can resume. https://www.phila.gov/2020-11-16-philadelphia-announces-new-safer-at-home-restrictions-in-response-to-rising-covid-19-cases/?mc_cid=9c357bb82a&mc_eid=5299df9c89
- The Food Policy Advisory Council (FPAC) Anti-Hunger Subcommittee holds monthly meetings to develop policy recommendations that support systematic change to huger. Meetings take place on the third Tuesday of every month! Email Amy Goldstein at email@example.com for details!
- This link outlines the free meals schedule for people experiencing homelessness. http://philadelphiaofficeofhomelessservices.org/about/food-access/freemeals/?mc_cid=9c357bb82a&mc_eid=5299df9c89
To officially close the chapter of 2020, here are some highlights of the Saturday food and clothing cupboard since Spring!
Happy New Year and stay Safe!
Jess, Outreach Coordinator