Walk+Run Against Hunger 2013

Walk+Run Against Hunger 2013

It’s that time again- we’re gearing up for the 17th Annual Stroehmann’s Walk+Run Against Hunger.  Last year Team Old First raised over $1,000 to benefit the Food and Clothing Cupboard. This year, I’m increasing the goal to $2,000. We can do this!

The walk is on April 13th and our team will meet at Eakins Oval at 8:30am. If anyone is planning to Run, they will need to arrive earlier due to the run kicking off sooner than the walk. The Walk will begin at 9:30am and we want to be sure to get our entire team registered. The Walk should be finished between 10 and 11 with a celebration happening with free hot dogs and raffles for participants and supporters. There is also an option to purchase Walk + Run Against Hunger 2013 t-shirts for $10 and $12 on the day of the event. Let me know if you are interested.

The Walk+Run Against Hunger supports more than 100 food pantries, soup kitchens and hunger-relief agencies in Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey. Together, they help hundreds of thousands of local families put food on their tables every day.

Most food pantries and soup kitchens are small programs, like ours, run by volunteers. For many of us, the Walk+Run is the main way we raise funds to buy food and other necessities to help people who come to us for help.

The Walk+Run also benefits the region’s leading hunger-relief agencies, including the Coalition Against Hunger, The Food Trust, SHARE and Philabundance. If we meet our fundraising goal, we will receive 85% of the money raised, the remaining 15% will benefit these other larger agencies.

Over the coming months, I’ll be talking with the youth and community partners about participating with our team. My hope is that we will exceed our goal to help the Cupboard and have a great time together in service.